Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary (Monastery)

Cathedral of the Assumption of Mary (Monastary) Hydra Island Greece, Greek Orthodox Churches Cathedral Bell Tower

The Cathedral is exquisite and you are more than welcome, so long as you are dressed appropriately, to walk within the confines of the cloisters and even enter the Cathedral Church itself. Taking photographs or filming is not allowed without the express permission of the Bishop. You can see Katerina in the Ecclesiastical Museum (who speaks English) to make a request of the Bishop on your behalf.

 

The Cathedral is designated as a Monastery and so it is only used for services, baptisms and funerals. Marriages cannot take place in a Monastery. The Mayor's Office including the Registrar (for births, deaths & marriages) use the grand reception rooms opposte the main entrance to the Cathedral Church. Even though the Registrar has an office, because of the Monastery status, it is not possible to have a civil wedding on the grounds. So Registry weddings are held off the premises at a location decided upon by the bride and groom.

 

TripAdvisor Reviews

The following Greek text and English translation have been provided by Katerina Bervanaki with the kind permission of the Bishop of Hydra.

ΚΑΘΕΔΡΙΚΟΣ ΝΑΟΣ ΚΟΙΜΗΣΕΩΣ ΘΕΟΤΟΚΟΥ ΥΔΡΑΣ «ΜΟΝΑΣΤΗΡΙ»

ΤοΙστορικόΜοναστήριτης Ύδρας, η παλαίφατος Μονή Παναγίας της «Φανερωμένης» και νυν Καθεδρικός Ναόςτης Μητροπόλεώς μας, αποτελείτοκόσμημα τηςηρωοτόκου και αγιοτόκουενδόξου Νήσου μας. Είναι τοΜοναστήρι – έτσιτο αποκαλούμεμέχρισήμερα – πουέδρασετην περίοδοτηςδουλείας του Γένους και πουτιςημέρεςτου Αγώνα τηςΕθνεγερσίας έλαβε ευθύνες και πρωτοβουλίεςσημαντικές.

 

Από ιστορικές πηγές η πρώτηίδρυσητοποθετείται πριν από τοέτος1655.  Η ιστορία τουΑντωνίουΜιαούλη «περίτης ΝήσουΎδρας» αναφέρειότι η Μονήεκτίσθητοέτος 1643. Τα εγκαίνια του Ναούετελέσθησαν πριντο 17ο αι. στοόνομα τουΑγ. Χαραλάμπους και η μετατροπή τουέγινεστις αρχέςτου 17ου αι.  Στην αρχή η Μονήήταν γυναικεία, συγκροτήθηκε από μια αδελφότητα 18 μοναζουσών και ενσυνεχεία μετετράπ η σεανδρώα.  Τοέτος 1747 η Μονήμετετράπη σε Σταυροπηγιακήμε Πατριαρχικό Γράμμα του ΠατριάρχηΠαϊσίου.

 

Σημαντική προσωπικότητα στηνεξέλιξητηςΜονής υπήρξε ο ηγούμενοςΝεόφυτοςΖώταλης και μετάτηνκοίμησήτου, τοέργοτουσυνέχισε ο ανιψιόςτουΙερόθεοςΖώταλης, ο οποίος και περάτωσετην ανακαίνισητηςΜονήςτοέτος 1774.

 

Πρώτος Ηγούμενος υπήρξε ο Λαυρέντιος (1769-1779) και ο κατάλογος συνεχίζεται μέχρι και τον Άνθιμο (1820-1824).

 

Κατάτην επανάστασητου 1821 στοΜοναστήρι αυτόσυνεδρίαζαν οιΠροεστώτες και οι Ναυμάχοι, οι Καπεταναίοι και ο Λαός.  Έγινετοκέντρογια την απελευθέρωσητουΓένους μας, γι’ αυτό και φέρειτο προσωνύμιο «Ναυαρχείο».

 

Ο Ναός αποτελεί σήμερα ένα Μουσείο Τέχνης, το οποίο όμως δεν παύει να είναι και η βασικότερη ενορία της Ύδρας.

 

Η αρχιτεκτονική ακολουθείτοσχήμα τωνΒυζαντινώνΜονώνμε σαφείς επιρροές από τουχρόνουςμετάτηνάλωση.  Το καθολικόείναι τρίκλιτη Βασιλικήμετάτρούλου. Τα κλίτηχωρίζονται μεκιονοστοιχίες: Τομεσαίοείναι αφιερωμένοστην Κοίμησητης Θεοτόκου, τοδεξίστον Αγ. Χαράλαμπο και το αριστερόστον Αγ. Νικόλαο.

 

ΤοσημαντικότατοΤέμπλοτου Ναού κατασκευάσθηκε επί ηγουμενίας Ιεροθέουτου 2ου από τον Αρχιτέκτονα Γαβριήλ.  Είναι κατασκευασμένοόλο από ατόφιολευκόμάρμαρομε πλούσια και έντονη ανάγλυφηδιακόσμηση (γλυπτάσταυροί, έξεργα, θωράκια, ιωνικοίκιονίσκοι κ.α.).  Στοτέμπλο βρίσκονται και οι αξιόλογεςεικόνεςτου Ναούμε πλούσια διακοσμημένα επικαλύμματα που υπήρξαν δώρα ειςτον Ναό από πλούσιουςΥδραίους και Ναυμάχους.

 

Η γενικότερηδιακόσμησητου Ναούείναι καταπληκτική: Η εφέστιοςεικόνα της «Φανερωμένης» βρίσκεται στο παλαιό προσκυνητάριτου Τέμπλου, εικόνεςτουτέμπλου και φορητές όπως η Παναγία η Βρεφοκρατούσα (η Παναγία τουΜαλίκη), Αγ. Κων/νουτουΥδραίου, ΕυαγγελισμούτηςΘεοτόκου, Αγ. Σπυρίδωνος κ.α.

 

Οι πολυέλαιοι και τα κανδήλια προσθέτουν αίγληστηθέα του Ναού: Υπάρχουντέσσερις πολυέλαιοι, ο κεντρικόςέργοτουΚουσουρέληείναι ασημένιος και απεριγράπτουτέχνης.  Τηνίδια σχεδιαστικήτεχνοτροπία ακολουθούν και οιδύομικρότεροιστοκεντρικόκλίτος.  Ο πιο πολύτιμος και θρυλικόςείναι ο εξάφωτος που βρίσκεται κοντάστηνωραία πύλη και έφτασεστην Ύδρα από την Γαλλία ή τηνΙσπανία.  Πρέπει να τονιστείότιόλοιοιπολυέλαιοιτου Ναού και τα κανδήλια δενλειτουργούνμερεύμα αλλάμεκεριά ή λάδι.

 

Τα κειμήλια και οι θησαυροί της Μονής εκτίθενται στο Εκκλησιαστικό Μουσείο , το οποίο λειτουργεί εντός του χώρου της Μονής.

 

Το Μοναστήρι έχει δύο κωδωνοστάσια.  Το «μικρό» ανεγέρθηκε το 1806 και το δεύτερο και μεγαλύτερο το 1874.  Και τα δύο είναι μαρμάρινα με πλούσιο γλυπτό διάκοσμο και οι ήχοι των κωδώνων δημιουργούν δέος και κατάνυξη.

THE CATHEDRAL OF  THE ASSUMPTION OF THE VIRGIN MARY - HYDRA "Monastery"

The historic monastery of Hydra, the Monastery of "FANEROMENI" and now Cathedral of our Metropolis, is the jewel of our glorious island of  so many heroes and saints. It's the Monastery - so call today - who acted during the period of slavery of the Nation and the days of the struggle for national revolution and took responsibilities and important initiatives.

 

From historical sources the first establishing placed before the year 1655. The story of Anthony Miaoyli "About the Island of Hydra," says that the Monastery was built by the year 1643. The dedication of the Temple performed before the 17th century in the name of St. Haralambos and the commutation was made in the early 17th century. Originally, the monastery was female, formed by a brotherhood of 18 nuns and later became male. In the year 1747 the monastery was changed into Stavropigiaci with a Patriarchal Letter of Patriarch Paisios.

 

Important figure in the evolution of the monastery was the abbot Neophytos Zotalis and after his death, his work continued by his nephew Ierotheos Zotalis, who completed the renovation of the monastery in the year 1774.

 

First Abbot was Lavrentios (1769-1779) and the list goes up with Anthimos (1820-1824).

 

During the revolution of 1821 in this monastery  the Leaders, the Captains of the battleships , the Chieftains and the People were meeting. The Monastery became the center for the liberation of our Nation, so it carries the nickname "Admiralty".

 

The church is now an art museum, which it still the most important parish of Hydra.
The architecture follows the shape of Byzantine monasteries with clear influences from the years after the Fall of Constantinoypoli. The church is a three-aisled basilica with a dome. The aisles separated by colonnades: The middle is dedicated to the Assumption of Virgin Mary, the right on Agios Charalambos and the left to St. Nikolao. The major reredos constructed when the Abbot of the Monastery was Ierotheos the 2nd by architect Gabriel.   It is made all from  pure white marble with rich and intense relief decoration (sculpture crosses, exergue, parapets, Ionic colonnettes etc.). It has the most valuable and remarkable icons  of the temple with rich decoration which were gifts to the church by wealthy residents of Hydra and the captains of the battleships.

 

The overall decoration of the temple is amazing: The efestios picture of "Faneromeni" is located in the old marble proskynetarion of the Temple, icons of the iconostasis and portable icons as the Virgin and Child (the Virgin of Maliki), St. Constantine of Hydra, Annunciation of the Theotokos, St. Spyridonos etc.

 

Chandeliers and Candles add glamour at the view of the Temple: There are four chandeliers, the main chandelier is a work by Kousourelis is silver and indescribable art. The same design style follow  the two smaller in the central aisle. The most valuable and legendary is the exafotos (six light) chandelier  located near the Oraia Pyli and reached Hydra from France or Spain. It must be emphasized that all the chandeliers of the Temple and Kandylia are not working with stream but with candles or oil.

 

Most of the treasures of the monastery exposed in the Ecclesiastical Museum, which operates within the area of ​​the monastery.

 

The monastery has two spiers. The smaller was built in 1806 and the second and bigger in 1874. Both are marbled with rich sculptural decorations and sounds of bells create awe and devoutness. 

Print Print | Sitemap Recommend this page Recommend this page
© Kelsey Edwards HydraDirect 2000 - 2016
Book direct with HydraDirect. No booking fees, no commission, no added percentages. Putting visitors in direct contact with Hydra businesses.