As Hydra Island has inspired generations of amateurs and spawned Internationally acclaimed professional artists, you are invited to join one of Desiree Prinsloo's water colour painting courses.
You too can discover and capture the unique scenery and the special light that mesmerizes visitors to Hydra. Take home your very special memories after your course to treasure and fondly look back on
your wonderful holiday on Hydra Island for years to come.
Watercolour Painting Course Details
Objective: To demonstrate and put into practice the technique to capture a scene as a sketch and the technique to mix water colour and apply.
Number of Participants:
- Minimum 2 participants (Please note that the course will be cancelled or rescheduled, if there are not at least 2 participants for each course, two weeks prior to
the course commencing. Full refund will be given in these cases.)
- Maximum of 6 participants per course. Please note that if you are on your own, this is a smashing way to meet people who like similar things to you so these
courses are pleasantly sociable.
- Scheduled courses each month from end April to Mid October
- Privite courses from mid April to Mid October when no scheduled courses are booked (min 2 persons, max 6)
- 5 mornings
- 2.5 hours per day
- Monday - Friday
- 10:00 - 12:30
Registration and the first day will be held at the Bandera Cafe in the centre of the port.
- For complete beginners to intermeditate levels.
- Competant artists are welcome to join courses for the experience and to enjoy the locations and company.
- Courses are not suitable for children under the age of 14.
- 14 - 16 year olds must be accompanied by an adult.
- Scheduled courses are not suitable for those with mobility disabilities because some of the locations require participants to walk and are not wheelchair accessible. However, it is possible to
schedule a private course if needed. Please make contact for further details.
Where the is course held
Location: Various picturesque and inspiring out-of-doors settings including:
- Lower terrace at the Kodylenia Taverna overlooking the little harbour at Kamini
- Mandraki 1800 Taverna overlooking the small beach at Mandraki Bay
- Papagalos Cafe overlooking the colourful fishing boats along the inner jetty of Hydra Harbour
- Bandera Cafe in the centre of the harbour overlooking the shop fronts and the distinctive Cathedral bell tower
- Caprice Restaurant courtyard with its exhuberant bougainvilea for a challenge.
Please note that the location each day may change to take advantage of the different light and shade, or to avoid the iintense heat of the sun at different times
of the year or various activities happening.
What you will need to bring with you
Equipment is not supplied so you will need to bring your own:
- A4 size spiral bound water colour painting pad.
- Paper towels
- A watercolour/mixed media sketch book with paper of 100lbs or more, smooth/hot press preferred for ink/w/colour work.
- Pencils HB - HB2 & sharpener
- Kneaded eraser
- Small cosmetic spray bottle to keep paints hydrated.
- Box of water colour paints. (12 colours with mixing lid)
- Various size water colour brushes (3 will be enough, fine, medium & large)
- 2 small pots (the cut off bottom of water bottles are perfect, 1 for water to wash your brushes in and the other to use for painting.)
- 1 large bottle of water (for painting, not to drink!)
- A drink for you.
And it's a good idea to have a small ruck sack to carry everything in.
If you don't want to bring everything with you, it is possible to buy what you need from the shops in Hydra.
Price, Payment & Conditions
Price: €100 per person, per course
- Please note that refreshments & equipment is not included.
- Booking a place on the course must be made in advance.
Deposiit & Balance
- Payment of a 20% deposit is required as a minimum to hold your place, payable via Paypal or bank transfer.
- Using your Paypal balance or by using your credit/debit card if you don't have a paypal balance is a cheaper way of making payment and is very secure (all
currency or card costs as your expense).
- The 80% balance can be paid in cash at registration.
- (If you prefer to pay by credit card for the full price, via the Paypal secure service, the full amount must be paid when you reserve your place.)
- In the case of cancellation, by Desiree Prinsloo due to insufficient numbers or any other reason, a full refund will be made.
- In the case of a participant cancelling, a full refund will be given if cancelled 14 days prior to the start date. No refund will be given if less than 15 days
prior, unless another participant books the place.
Standard Course Schedule & Dates Available for Private Courses
Please check my availability calendar below. Standard courses are shown as green bars. If you click the bar a pop up window will show you how many people are already booked for it. If there are
less than 6 participants, you can use the secure email form to let me know you would like to join that particular course.
If no standard course is scheduled for the time you are on the island, or the scheduled course if full, please enquire as I am happy to book additional standard courses and make them available for
up to 6 participants who might also want to join you.
If you would like to arrange a private course for your family or as a group of friends, please check what dates do not have anything scheduled for on my calendar and then contact me using the
secure email form to let me know what dates you would like. Once booked, I show private courses on my calendar as a red bar.
Please note: Whether a standard or private course, I never display names on my calendar.
Enquiries and/or to reserve a place
Please use the form below to contact me to reserve a place on a scheduled course, request an additional standard course on a date to suit you which others can join or to make a reservation for a
private group course.