Situated on the east side of the amphitheatre that cradles Hydra Town, this plot of land for sale offers spectacular 180 degree sunset views overlooking the town and between the hills along the
Kamini to Vlychos valley and also sea glimpses off Hydra Harbour.
Plot size: 269 m2
All images on this page are copyright protected by HydraDirect
As the land falls within the town plan, it would be possible for the incoming buyer to apply for permission to build up to 50% of the plot meters, so
potentially 134 m2 of living space (subject to application and approval).
Lower entrance from street showing door to upper entrance further up steps
Originally, the house had 2 floors and was the traditional L-Shape with a lower courtyard and upper terrace. Sadly once the roof collapsed the walls
started to fall into the property. However, this means that there is a huge amount of reclaimable and recyclable material on site that will help to keep transport and building costs
Currently two entrances to the property from the north facing boundary wall.
The following two photos were taken from the top boundry wall looking directly into the plot.
The plot is almost square shaped, detached with steps and paths to all boundaries.
The following sequence of images were taken from the lower level of the plot.
Below the rubble there is a freshwater cisterna (traditional rainwater tank) which could be rebuilt and used to supplement the main town supply. Unusually for a
ruin on a plot of building land, the utilities are already in place on the plot. Again this is another huge benefit when keeping the costs of rebuilding down.
The following sequence of images were taken from the top boundary street.
The location is high although in terms of difficulty it is classed as a medium climb because in spite of the plot's location on the edge of the town boundary the route up is gentle with plenty of
level parts. The easiest route includes 217 steps which are nicely spaced out.
It is reached from a number of directions but the easiest walk is to take the lane up from in the east corner of the port turning left in front of the Police Office behind the old bakery. From
then on you zig-zag up short sets of steps interspersed with gently sloping level sections, winding your way around houses and two pretty little chapels.
An averagely fit person is able to reach the property from the Alpha Bank in 15 minutes.
The area is residential with a number of large well built houses some of which are lived in full-time by locals and others are holiday or weekend homes.
You walk behind this little chapel and the plot of land is next door to the house with the bougainvillea.
The view from the property is enchanting and creatively inspiring. The vista is 180 degrees and incorporates the mountains, the entire town and glimpses of the sea outside the picturesque
Hydra Harbour. The colours, light and mood change throughout the seasons dictating the activity of the people at different times of the day and year. The landscape and structures are like a
magnificent stage setting where the characters play out their daily scenes for your viewing entertainment. Even the weather plays it's part in creating the atmosphere.
Below there is the lush green colour of the playing field and the gem-like stands of evergreen pine trees which in the summer are very restful in the full
brightness of the sun. On the opposite side of the valley you can watch the mules and horses trekking up the zig-zag to the Ag Fotini Monastery. You'll find the
position of the setting sun as it swings through its seasonal arc will create glorious sunsets posing a challenge to artists and photographers to capture just the right moment as it appears to settle
in the cradle of the hills either side of the Kamini to Vlychos Valley. The colours change too from emerald green dotted with vibrant spring colours that fade to shades of gold by the end of the
summer before the first autumn rains reinvigorate the landscape which has it's second coming.
And the sounds of Hydra provide the unobtrusive background chorus for this theatre: The laughing of children on the way to school, the cheers of
encouragement from the sports field, the regular chime of the church bells, the clonking of goat bells as they forage, the squawking of hens as they lay their eggs, the braying of mules that sound
prehistoric as they call to each other, the siren calls of the boats as they pull in and out of the harbour - this cacophony of sound blends and rolls around the amphitheatre lifting it up the hill
to gently remind you that you are sharing this wonderful glut for the senses with a vibrant and thriving community.
Summary of Key Features
- Unhindered west facing 180 degree sunset views including sea glimpses.
- Afternoon and evening sun so good position to avoid winter dampness.
- Boundaries with clear space of at least 2 meters all around so good air circulation to catch breezes during summer.
- Possibility to be self-sufficient for water.
- Already connected to mains electricity, water & sewage services.
- Approximately 50 meters from nearest point to connect to telephone/internet supply.
- Approximately one quarter of building material on site (assuming maximum build ratio, ie 134 m2).
- Clear title, single seller.
Readiness To Sell
This property is offered for sale by a single owner, Mr Athanasios (Tan) Chrissis who has full title documents and all other documents are fully up to date. In order to proceed it will take
approximately 2 weeks to obtain the final last minute papers required.
There are no outstanding mortgages, liens or disputes.
The annual ENFIA currently costs €80 per year. (Please note that this figure will be reassessed after reconstruction but unlikely to be much more.)
The property for sale by owner, has been realistically priced for the market at the current tax evaluation objective price of
Contact: Mr Athanasios Chrissis
Based in London, UK. English & Greek speaking
UK Mobile: +(44) 7470 401128
Your form message has been successfully sent.
You have entered the following data:
Please use this form to specify required viewing date & time.
Please correct your input in the following fields:
Error while sending the form. Please try again later.
Conditions of Use & Disclaimer
The express purpose of this advert is to allow a potential buyer and seller (advertiser) to communicate and deal directly with one another without either party having to
pay a fee or commission to an estate agent.
The advertiser (seller) may, with a separate agreement, undertake additional promotional and administration services from HydraDirect to facilitate communication, including
viewings with qualified buyers, for which the seller may pay a 0.5% fee if a satisfactory sale is achieved as a result of the seller's advert on HydraDirect. If undertaken, this service is paid for
by the seller and not the buyer.
Use & Copyright
- This advert space has been paid for, and the content prepared at the owners' request by Kelsey Edwards of HydraDirect and approved by the owner for
publication, advertising and promotional purposes.
- The material content: text, photos & layout, is the work of Kelsey Edwards (HydraDirect) and has been prepared expressly for the purpose of advertising (as
'for sale by owner') on and via the HydraDirect website, on social media and in various printed formats as distributed.
- Third parties who may have potential buyers MAY NOT use these advert details for the purpose of soliciting financial remuneration.
- Kelsey Edwards (HydraDirect) retains full copyright of all material. HydraDirect retains ownership of all photographs except those photos included as supplied by owners (as noted on images on
- HydraDirect does not have an exclusive agreement with the seller to advertise their property for sale. Advertisers/property owners have the right to advertise with Real Estate Agents who may
charge the buyer, seller or both parties a commission or with other advertising agencies. However, if third parties wish to broker or advertise the same property (as listed on HydraDirect) they MAY
NOT USE any of the photos or text as available on HydraDirect. They are required to take their own photos and write their own material.
- These details comply with International and Greek real estate law and all care has been taken to ensure that the details are accurate and not mis-leading
to conform with the property mis-description acts. However, potential property buyers must assure themselves of the accuracy of all the information presented.
- These details do not constitute a property contract of sale.
- Third parties DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT to use these details for the purpose of soliciting commission or a fee from either a buyer or a seller.
Advertising Fees & ZERO Commission
- The buyer WILL NOT PAY commission to HydraDirect as a result of a successful sale introduced by the advertisement or associated promotion.
- The seller will pay for annual advertising space in advance and separately may agree in writing prior to commencement of advetising to pay 0.5% of achieved sale price for administration services
if a sale introduced as a result of their advert on HydraDirect.
Advert Expires 11th October 2017 (see Advertising Rates).